Want to get pleasure from natural rainbow color? without waiting for rain. By knowing science you can. In this home experiment we are going to apply same principles of real rainbow to form rainbow colors from sunlight on paper.
Small size mirror
Frying Pan (or any other similar to it)
White paper and Sunlight
- Fill the frying pan with water
- clean the surface of the mirror and place it it in the pan at an angle below the surface level of water.
- Place your pan on sunlight so that sunlight falls on the surface of the mirror
- Hold a white paper above the pan to catch the reflected rays from mirror
If your setup is correct than you should be able to watch rainbow colors on paper. If not, try to change the angle of the mirror in the pan (see the setup in the figure below)
I have taken some picture on my paper and hand check them below.
Watch the video of Rainbow on paper below
When you shine sunlight on mirror, light, first enters into water and refracts (bends). Since sunlight is combination of visible colors each color has its own frequency and wavelength so these colors refracts at different angles in this way sunlight is broken into its components that are reflected from mirror on the paper.
- Try using large mirror in the water tub or swimming pool and note the results