Lava Lamp is an electric lamp which contain brightly colored substance that rise and falls in a changing irregular shape. Here you will learn how to make lava lamp that don’t require electricity. All the materials you will find from kitchen.
- A clear empty plastic bottle
- Vegetable oil
- Food coloring
- Alka-Seltzer tablet (tablet that fizz)
- Fill the bottle about quarter with water.
- Fill the remaining space of the bottle with vegetable oil and keep it a side for 5 minutes so that water and oil can be separate from each other.
- Add few drops of food coloring of your choice in the bottle. It will take a little time to break through the oil to the water.
- Break the seltzer tablet into four pieces and drop one piece in the bottle. Watch it sinking to bottom.
When seltzer tablet will touch the water your lava lamp will start to work. When bubbles stops to form add another piece of seltzer tablet to water. ENJOY!
When oil and water are mixed they form two layer, oil at the top and water at bottom because oil is less dense than water so oil float on water. When you drop seltzer tablet to bottle it goes to water layer and starts to form bubbles by chemical reaction. These bubbles go up taking some colored water with them. At the top of the bottle air escapes and leaves the water behind which falls back down. Doing so it creates nice effect of lava lamp which you enjoy.
- Try to make set of seven lava lamps with rainbow colors and start them at same time.