Make this interesting colored foamy fountain at home and enjoy its beauty! The foam that is produced by fountain is special because each bubble is filled with oxygen gas. You will learn how this fountain works and what science is behind it.
- Empty plastic bottle about 500ml (half liter) in volume
- ½ cup of Hydrogen Peroxide (20-volume or 6%)
- 1 Tablespoon of Yeast
- Liquid dish soap
- Food coloring
- Pour ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide in the bottle. Be careful! When dealing with hydrogen peroxide. It can irritate skin so let an adult to handle it.
- Add few drops of food coloring of your choice into the bottle.
- Add 1 tablespoonful of liquid dish soap into the bottle. Close the bottle with cap and swish it so that all the liquids mix together.
- Take a cup and add 3-4 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of yeast in it. Stir the cup with spoon to mix the water and yeast together.
- Your fountain is ready. When it is time to start fountain just add water-yeast mixture into the bottle.
Fountain will expel the foam out of the bottle so you should do this experiment at washable area of your home.
This Foamy Fountain is the breaking of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen gas with the help of yeast that acts as a catalyst. Sudden release of oxygen cause rapid bubbling of gas because of soap in the bottle. These bubbles rush out of bottle because new bubbles are constantly created.
- Increase the amount of yeast added in the bottle and find out! Does it affect the rate of reaction?
- Increase the amount of Hydrogen Peroxide and also add some water in the bottle and find out! Does it affect the timing of the fountain?