It is an ideal home experiment and science fair project in which you will learn how lava is ejected through a mountain and about the chemical reaction of vinegar and baking soda. We will use kitchen materials to build a model of volcano that will look like a lava erupting mountain.
empty plastic bottle
clay or wheat flour
card board sheet
- Place the card board sheet on clean surface and put the empty plastic bottle on center of the sheet.
- Use wet clay or wet wheat flour to cover the plastic bottle and make rough mountain like structure around it. Be careful clay/wheat flour should not be dropped inside the bottle and also don’t cover the opening of the bottle. Dry your structure in sunlight until it is hard to break.
- Add 2 to 3 spoonful of baking soda and 4 drops of red food coloring in the bottle that you have covered with clay/wheat flour.
Your Volcano is ready for eruption. Take your model where you want to perform it than add some vinegar in the bottle to start the volcano. You will see fountain of foamy liquid coming out it.
When baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and vinegar (acetic acid) are mixed they react with each other and produce gas bubbles that builds enough pressure to force the foamy liquid out from the bottle.
- Use different quantities of baking soda and vinegar with different colors.
- Use three bottle in the place of one with three different colors (Red, Green, Blue).
- Use glowing ink or powder with food coloring.