Have you watched Flubber movie 1997? If yes, then you know that in this movie Robin William makes a green rubber like substance named “Flubber”. In this experiment we will make flubber (It won’t talk! SORRY!) But you can play with it and see what science is behind it.
- Warm Water
- 1 cups of Elmer White Glue
- 2 tablespoons of Borax
- Green Food Coloring
- Air tight bag
- Pour ¾ cup of warm water and 1 cup of white glue in a bowl. Add 2 to 3 drops of food coloring in the bowl and stir the mixture with spoon thoroughly.
- Pour ½ cup of warm water in another bowl and add 2 tablespoons of borax in it. Stir the solution to completely mix the borax in water.
- Pour all the solution of borax in the first bowl and stir the mixture thoroughly with spoon.
- Pour all content of bowl in an air tight bag. Close the bag tightly and make sure no liquid is leaking from the bag.
- Knead the mixture in the bag with your hands from outside for 5 to 10 minutes.
Your flubber is ready. You can remove it the bag and play with it. If your flubber is sticky then let dry a little bit then it will be okay.
The flubber you made is a Polymer, you made by mixing borax and glue together. Borax acts as connector (crosslinking agent) for the glue molecules. When glue molecules joined together and formed larger molecule chain, you got a gel like substance.
- Try to make a rainbow flubber by making seven different flubbers of different rainbow colors and mixing them together.