We find plants almost everywhere. They produce fresh oxygen for us and provide us the supply of fruits and vegetables. So, how these plants grow from a seed to a fully mature plant. There are many things that plants need for their growth.
What Plants need to grow?
Plants need many things for their growth. These things are listed below:
- Water: Water is the basic ingredient of every living thing. Without it, there would be no life. Plants need a clean supply of water to survive. They absorb the water with their roots. If the water is not sufficient or the land is dry, then plants may die.
- Soil: Plants anchor their roots in the soil, which provide them a good support. Plants absorb the water and nutrients from the soil. The soil needs to be rich in the nutrients for their healthy growth. When the soil is not rich in nutrients, farmers use different kinds of artificial and natural fertilizers to provide the necessary nutrients to the soil.
- Air: Plants take the carbon dioxide from the air for making their food in a process called photosynthesis. The air must be clean for their healthy growth. If the air is too polluted with smoke and harmful gases, then the growth of the plant is highly affected.
- Light: Plants make their food by photosynthesis. In photosynthesis, plants get the light from the Sun and carbon dioxide from the atmosphere for making food. So, plants need a good exposure to sunlight. If Sunlight is not sufficient, the plants may grow thin and tall in search of light.
- Temperature: Temperature is an important factor for plant growth. Some plants prefer to grow in hot, While some prefer cold temperatures.
- Space: Plants need sufficient space for the growth of their roots, and the necessary supply of fresh air. If plants grow very near to each other, they won’t be able to get a good space for spreading their roots. Also, the branches and leaves will become crowded, which will make it difficult for the plants for getting fresh air and sunlight.
Besides these things, plants need time to grow. You can’t grow a plant to its full length overnight. They will take time along with necessary things for their growth.
- Bamboos is the fastest growing plants. They can grow about 35 inches in a single day.
- Some plants have evolved to withstand the dry climate, that can survive on very little water. These plants are called xerophytes.
- The tallest trees around the world are Redwood. They reach a height of 91 meters (300 feet).
- Watermeal or Wolffia is the smallest flowering plant. It is about the size of a rice grain.